Monday 25 February 2013

TEFL

I have found an article written by someone who has had experience in teaching English in China. It's really insightful getting an honest, first hand report of how it will be to live and work in China. Along with this, it also includes some very useful tips when teaching English as a foreign language.




During my time in China, I taught three classes of between 24 and 40 first and second year university students for six hours a week each. Initially, I remember feeling pretty nervous – I worried endlessly about what I was going to teach, how I'd cope with such a large group, whether I'd fill the time and what sorts of activities my students would enjoy. But these initial concerns disappeared very quickly

 A typical lesson might start with a review of the previous lesson and a quick warm up activity, followed by the introduction of a few new words or phrases. I'd then often follow this up with a written exercise to check the students' understanding, before finishing with a related communicative activity or a game.

Looking back on my time in China brings me immense satisfaction. It's something I feel very proud of and a fantastic memory that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment